December 2, 2009

Celebrating Advent

Counting down the days of Christmas adds to the wonder of the season. We usually read the story of the Nativity on Christmas Eve, but I wanted something to help us focus on the Christmas story all month long.

First I checked at Michaels for the tags, but the price was $5.97 for 20. Ouch. I headed next door to Staples and found these in the "retail" section at a much better price: $4.96 for 100. That meant I could make more than one set (or make lots of mistakes.)
Add some red ink and fun number stamps and you've got an easy Advent calendar. Want it even easier? Below I've listed the verses that I wrote on the back of each one. If you begin with #1, the verses will lead up to the gift of Christ's birth.
1. Job 12:13,22 14. Isaiah 60:1
2. Psalm 103:8-12 15. 1 John 5:13
3. Jeremiah 31:3 16. Isaiah 11:1-2
4. John 10:11,14 17. Luke 2:1-7
5. Isaiah 43:1-4 18. Isaiah 7:14
6. Micah 5:2,5 19. Luke 2:8-15
7. 1John 5:11-12 20. Luke 2:16-20
8. Isaiah 9:6-7 21. Luke 2:28-32
9. Hebrews 11:6 22. Luke 2:39-40
10. Isaiah 53:1-5 23. Matthew 2:1-6
11. Isaiah 53:6-7 24. Matthew 2:7-12
12. Isaiah 53:10-11 25. John 3:16
13. John 16:33


15 comments:

Samantha said...

What a great idea, and some CTMH supplies I see ;)

Shell in your Pocket said...

What a cute idea! We do the the Jesse Tree...but yours is very creative!
sandy toe

Gretchen said...

Oh, I do hope we can still be friends. I'll be the taker of all good ideas in the relationship! :)

Darling! Thanks for the verses, too. Between this and "Touching Wonder", I'm having a wonderful Advent. I got to read a passage from Isaiah 60 at church on Sunday. So fun!

O Mom said...

What a beautiful idea. I think I will work on this with some of the verses for the week before Christmas. Thanks! :)

Amber said...

Cute.Cute.Cute.

(And office supply stores are some of my favorite places to find crafty materials....LOTS cheaper!)

Runner Mom said...

Oh, I love this! Easy and simple and you have the wonderful Bible verses already here! Thanks so much!!
Hugs!
Susan

Elizabeth said...

So cute! And thank you for including the verses.

Janet said...

Oooh...thanks for the reminder. Brian sent me our Advent reading for today - since he is at rehearsal tonight. :) You just saved me! :)

Sandy said...

These turned out so great! I love the verses on the back: since I can't keep coming back here for several days, I think I'll have to have you or one of the girls give it to me over the phone each day.... Love you!

Suz said...

Thanks for sharing the verses! We read the first one last night and Bailey got so excited. She said "Mommy, can we just go ahead and read the Christmas Story. I really want to hear it again." So thanks for encouraging idea of the verses each night.

Tracey said...

What fun! Thanks for the hilarious comment on my blog. Your IRL and online friendship is such a blessing to me!

Hugs!

KR said...

Awesome! What a great idea. Thanks for the verses!

whimzie@Snoodlings said...

Oh I LOVE this! Thanks for the idea and the verses and everything, Gretchen!

jason and jen said...

I am so excited to use this idea! Thank you so much for the verses!!! Hope your family has a wonderful Christmas!!

The Buntens said...

I LOVE this idea!!!